Wednesday, July 17, 2013

We all had Scars

Diego has been asked many times what he has enjoyed most about his summer.  Quickly, without hesitation, he responds, “I loved CHAMP Camp.”  One afternoon Diego asked, “Mom, do you know why I loved CHAMP Camp so much?”  Of course I conjured up a quick array of reasons; because it was his first time to participate in an overnight camp, because of all the activities, because of the snack shop where he had cash to spend, my thoughts continued.  Then Diego answered, “Because we all had scars.”  Tears quickly filled my eyes as I realized now Diego knows that he is not alone in his battle and this simple fact brings him comfort. 
The following day I set down with Diego and explained that there is someone else in his life that also understands his fear, pain and suffering.  When we look up at the crucifix each Sunday during Mass we are reminded that Jesus has walked in our shoes.  There is no pain in our life that Jesus did not experience in his humanity on earth.   This is such a powerful feeling to know that God understands. 
I explained further to Diego that God doesn’t always answer our prayers exactly as we ask them.  Sometimes we have to listen to the stillness to hear God’s answer.  In our hectic and stress filled lives it can be challenging to listen.

I love Sunday mornings, early before the air gets busy with sound.  It’s so peaceful and if you listen closely you can hear God whispering through the trees. 
-Stephanie Reagan   

No comments:

Post a Comment