Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Medal for Bravery

Above is a picture of the soldier that became my clean eating inspiration.  My nephew, Brandon Wayne Dudley, returned from Iraq this past November.  Brandon had drill on Saturday, August 25th during our family dinner.  He was able to join us at the very end of the day.  Discreetly, in a separate room from all the chaos of the family buzz, Brandon set with Diego and gave to him the medal that he earned while deployed in Iraq.  He explained that the medal is given to soldiers for their bravery in combat.  He said, “I earned this medal for doing something that was hard to do.  Basically, I was in the right place at the right time.”  In other words, he did not seek this mission out, but rather it was bestowed upon him.  Although no one in the family will ever know what he did to earn the medal, I doubt it was an easy task.  And, certainly not a task that most people would feel they were in the “right” place.  In my opinion, that is the sign of a brave warrior.  Brandon continued to explain that he wanted Diego to have his medal because Diego was facing a challenging time ahead that required him to be brave.  I hope that Diego will not see his mission as a hardship, but rather an honor to be a part of a select few called to carry out a task that was hard to do.

A Warrior’s Creed

I am a Warrior and a member of a team
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values
I will always place the mission first
I will never accept defeat
I will never quit
I will never leave a fallen comrade
  

2 comments:

  1. Lezlie, you probably don't even know who I am, but your mom works with my mom. We got to come and meet Diego (as well as Lucy) two weekends ago.
    I check your blog everyday. I was without internet from Saturday night and didn't get it back until Sunday afternoon. I guess I never went and checked once the internet was back up and running, because I didn't see all of these new blog posts. I love all of them, but the one with Diego and Brandon... As soon as I read it, I started bawling. Not because of sadness, but because I'm so star struck by everything I read in this post.
    I think in general, Diego and how brave he is towards all of this, keeps me star struck. I'm 21 and the thought of having to go have a surgery and be under for FOUR hours, scares me. I'm so amazed that he seems to be totally fine with it all.
    I just wanted you to know, that you guys are all in my thoughts and prayers!!!

    ~Jennifer Coleman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thank you for your comment and for your help along Diego's heart journey. My mom has spoken fondly of you. You are so wonderful to sell the "Team Diego" wrist bands. Diego is confident and strong because of the support and prayers from so many people like you. Thank you for your compassion and generosity.
      All my best,
      Lezlie

      Delete