Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

Typically my second meal each day is a whole wheat bread.  I have found that eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast followed by a whole wheat muffin or slice of bread 2-3 hours later will help curve my appetite and sustain my energy level during the day.  I like to bake muffins or a loaf of bread over the weekend to eat throughout the week.  I have several recipes that I enjoy, but this blueberry muffin recipe is one of my favorites. 
Ingredients:
1 ¾ cups of whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup of ground flaxseed
½ cup sucanat
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 cups of fresh blueberries washed and dried thoroughly
½ cup of chopped pecans
1 large egg
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 tbsp virgin coconut oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°
In a large bowl mix the flour, sucanat, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and baking soda
Gently fold blueberries and pecans into the dry mixture
Bring buttermilk to room temperature in a medium bowl
Whisk egg and coconut oil into the buttermilk
Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients being careful not to over work the batter
Fill each muffin cup with ¾ cup of batter
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick, inserted in the center, comes out clean
Remove from oven and let cool before gently removing muffins from tin

No comments:

Post a Comment