Saturday, August 11, 2012

Less than Perfect

This morning, Saturday, August 11, 2012 Diego’s soccer team had a scrimmage.  On the way home from the scrimmage Diego was struggling with the fact that he would not be playing in the fall soccer season because of his upcoming surgery.  He asked, “Mom, did you want to have a child with a defect”.  That question hit me hard, right in the stomach.  During the years when my husband, Cesar, and I were dating I told Cesar that if a child had to be born less than perfect that I was one of God’s warriors…I could handle it…I could take care of a child with a defect.  I don’t know why I felt that way, but I did.  So when Diego asked me this question I was reminded of that conversation between my husband and I over 15 years ago.  I told Diego that no mother ever wants their child to struggle with any type of defect, but that I always knew that I was strong enough to help my child if they were not perfectly created. 
Interestingly, last night my Dad and I were watching a YouTube video of how the human heart is developed in utero.  At the end of the video my Dad and I both commented that given the precise development that must occur that it is amazing that any heart develops perfectly.  The human body is truly a miracle and should be cherished and appreciated.  If you have children, whether they are perfectly created or not, please hold them and know that they are a precious gift from God that should be cherished forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment